This is the initial screening round for the Student Accelerate Michigan 2015 Competition powered by Greenlight. Fill out the required information and provide a link to your one (1) minute video.
31-Jul-2015 Midnight to
02-Oct-2015 11:59 PM
03-Oct-2015 Noon to
16-Oct-2015 11:59 PM
Students will prepare a five minute pitch with PPT slides and present to professionals in the Michigan business community at the 2015 Accelerate Michigan Innovation Compeition held in Detroit on November 5, 2015.
Please join other student-led teams from across the State of Michigan to pitch your business venture idea, meet investors from around the Country and win money to start your venture! There are $10,000 in prizes!
You will upload a brief summary of your business plus a one (1) minute YouTube video describing the key points of your business. These will be reviewed by a panel of experienced judges. The top teams will progress to the semi-finals in Detroit on November 5, 2015 during Accelerate Michigan. If selected, you will be asked to deliver a five minute pitch to a panel of judges using approximately five slides to describe your business venture.
This is a Michigan specific competition, and any and all student entrepreneurs across Michigan are welcome to apply and participate, so long as these rules and guidelines are followed:
1) The company or idea MUST be majority (over 50%) owned by students.
2) All University grade levels are accepted.
3) The company or idea cannot have over $10,000 in revenue, including third party investment.
4) If a legal entity has been formed around the idea, that entity must be less than a year old with the earliest incorporation date of March 30, 2015.
In addition, the winning team will get an automatic bid into Greenlight Michigan, a statewide competition hosted by Michigan State University.
Applicants will be notified the week of 10/19/15 of the semi-finalist selections, a mentor session will be held on 10/28/15 and a 5- minute PowerPoint presentation will be due on 11/1/15. See this link for a great resource in creating your pitch: http://www.ceogvsu.com/pitching-basics/
- Do we have to make our presentation around the business model canvas?
No, please create your pitch around the following criteria:
- Is the Market Size, Value Prop., Competitive Situation, Financial and Feasibility realistic?
- What are next milestones? Likely to execute? What will you do with winnings?
- What is the Mentor Session on 10/28/15?
The Mentor session is a review of your draft presentation by experts who will give you valuable suggestions and feedback.
- Is the Mentor session required?
Yes - if selected, you will receive more information on the logistics.
- Will I be able to change my slides after I submit them on 11/1/15?
No, we are not allowing any changes and they must be in the PowerPoint format.
- Can I have a video and audio on my slides?
We encourage no A/V on the slides as it can cause technical complications at the event.
- Is there a maximum amount of slides?
We are not setting a max on the slides but remember that you only have 5 minutes to pitch so we recommend about 5 slides or so.
If selected as a semi-finalist, please submit your Presentation (Powerpoints only) to Lori Fischer email@example.com by 11/1/15. You will have 5 minutes each to pitch to the judges and their will be 2 minutes of judges comments but no questions for a chance to win a total of $10,000 in cash prizes. Please also include a PDF to send to Lori and make sure to bring a backup jump drive with you to the event.
First round will be from 11:00am -12:30 p.m. You are invited to stay for lunch at 12:30 where the student finalists will be announced and finalists will pitch to the entire crowd at 2:15 p.m. Then the winners will be announced at the reception later that evening around 5 p.m.
If you are planning to stay the night before then you can get a room at the Westin Book Cadillac, where the competition will be held, at 1114 Washington Blvd, Detroit. There is also a Holiday Inn just across the street that will have some rooms available.